soul food friday ~ don't stop learning

on Thursday, September 23, 2010

I was facilitating a program this week, trying to give people some insights into being a team leader. We spoke a lot about the need to understand yourself...your drivers, motivators, interests, things that get on your goat...and importantly, your emotions. 
I had a major wake up call a few days ago. I learned that while I may have been saying one thing, I was actually demonstrating through my behaviour something quite different. The opposite of what I had intended. The complete antithesis of what I really believed. My self awareness was shot to pieces...clouded. Actually, to be honest, it was completely smothered by self absorption.
I've learned I need to listen more. Really listen. And hear.
I've learned that I need to be more compassionate. And show it.
I've learned that when the universe revolves around you it can be a pretty small and uninspiring place.
But most of all, I've learned that acknowledging when you've lost the plot and saying sorry for it is one of the best things you can do...for you.
As I said to a friend the other night...you're never too old to learn some new things about yourself. Or about others who you think you know so well. It makes life better, no doubt about that, even if you're not so chuffed about the things you're learning :)
Hope you get to learn something new this weekend.
image from here