across the tasman...nz style

on Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I really like New Zealand. And New Zealanders. Even with their funny accents. How anyone can confuse a Kiwi accent with an Aussie one though, I'll never know...but it happens...one of life's little mysteries.
Mind you, it's been a VERY long time since I've been to NZ. I was 13 and on a Girl Guide camp. That's so long ago it probably qualifies as ancient history. And the guide leaders were an item...who knew! Certainly not me.
And probably not my mother or I wouldn't have been allowed to go. But it was my first experience of overseas travel and I was hooked.
I vividly remember that we handed over $3 each week to the Guide leaders and each deposit was recorded in a dinky little notebook. My mother covered mine in some groovy orange patterned contact. I loved that thing. It took just over a year to  save up enough money. If only $3 a week would get us overseas these days!!
Anyway, now my magazine addiction lets me get my NZ fix simply, easily and a little more cheaply...although if I stopped buying magazines I could probably nip over the Tasman within the next 3 months on the money I'd save!!
These are some fabulous pics from the NZ House and Garden website, because I just can't bear to rip up the real thing quite yet. 
 
Is it possible to marry a space...
 
And then...while doing my meticulous research for this post :)...I stumbled across this site...more wasted entirely productive decor research hours in cyberspace coming up!
So there you go...aren't they clever possums? I mean Kiwis.
Of course, I don't like them all that much when the All Blacks beat us. Which is frequently. I'm talking about Rugby Union for the uninitiated...
Maybe I'll move to New Zealand. 
 
Or at least visit again sometime soon :) 
After I've been to Washington and New York next month (oops, that could be considered gloating couldn't it?) Oh well, as the first born would say...soz about it :)