the art of mixing work and pleasure...

on Sunday, February 20, 2011

Those of you who pay attention to the detail will know that I'm part owner of a HR company here in Canberra. I don't write about work much because I like to keep things separate. Plus a lot of my work colleagues read this blog and I therefore always have to keep it nice...which as we know with work...is not always possible :)
But, sometimes I get so proud of who we are and the way we roll that I have to share.
On Friday we took the company on a bit of a magical mystery tour. We started off on a bus at 6.15 (at least it wasn't a Monday) to go to Bowral to do a bit of planning. And we did...I have the good old butcher's paper to prove it!
Then, back on the bus and we were on our way to the big smoke for a bit of a surprise (mind you, it was the worst kept secret in company history, but we managed to keep it from a few). 
And the surprise was going to see Jersey Boys...the musical about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. 
It was an absolute blast...especially of the 'from the past' kind. Although not quite old enough to remember the early songs, I definitely remember the 70s stuff. In fact, some of it takes me back to particular places in time really easily...

...that boat trip party on the Brisbane River in 1977 especially! A boy called Justin. But that's a whole other story ;)
So, it was really nice for the owners of the company (there are four of us) to do something for our very hard working staff. They enjoyed it. We enjoyed being able to make it happen. And it just goes to show that work can be a bit of ok when all the stars are aligned :)
And I also got to make a brief trip to Newtown on Saturday morning to see the first born's new digs (v. nice) and a saunter up King's Road. Where most of the shops I wanted to go into weren't open until 11 a.m., which alas was the time the bus was heading home. Still, I did manage to buy a new cushion...where there's a will and all that :)
And here's one of my favourite old time songs to finish off with...Frankie Valli's first solo hit...it's just beautiful. And if everyone's not happy at work on this Monday, I give up!!