tassie highlights...MONA

on Monday, January 16, 2012

Well. That holiday went in the blink of an eye!  Despite the fact that I’ve lived in a lot of places, and travelled to more than my fair share...I had never been to Tasmania before last week. I know, I can’t believe it either, or how I could possibly have left it so long!
We had the most wonderful time, spending most of the week in Hobart but getting out and about on day trips as well.  I have taken eleventy seven million photos (almost) and there’s no way they’re all going in one post, so just consider this Tassie highlights No. 1.
MONA ~ theMuseum of Old and New Art. I defy anyone not to be impressed by this place (although I was told by several people that there was a letter to the Editor of the Hobart Mercury demanding it be closed because of its depravity or debauchery or any number of other D words!). 
From the sublime to the ridiculous, the bizarre to the brutal, this place is a bit of a shrine to individualism, to brave choices and in my view, an incredible gift to Australia (not just Hobart) although Hobartians, you can of course ‘own’ it all for yourselves J It is without doubt, world class. Here are some of my favourite artworks...although, I'm sorry, the photos simply don't do them justice.
Richard and I rarely agree on things artistic, but we both thought that this next piece was the most wonderful in the collection ..."Sternenfall" by Anselm Keifer...
And the technology...wow. There are no descriptions next to any of the art...you access all sorts of information through the iPod you're given on entry. 
Some of it is so irreverent..."art wank"...just enhancing the sense of the unexpected wherever you turn...what's not to love?
The spaces in this gallery are stunning. It is immense and jaw droppingly, breathtakingly good...
And you know what...even the shadows on the floor are amazing...
The outside is equally impressive...wonderful rust, reflections and a stunning setting. Hobart is truly one of the loveliest capital cities in the world.
And when you go...take the ferry. You must. And dress in black...of course.
This was also the day Richard taught me to take photos through a torn piece of paper! As you do.
Go to MONA...you really, really must.